Periodontal Surgery in Rio Rancho, NM
What is Periodontal Dentistry?
Periodontal Dental Therapy is the branch of dentistry that encompasses the care and treatment of the supporting structures of the teeth.This includes the gingival (gum) tissues and the bone surrounding the teeth. A collaborative approach to providing periodontal care is utilized involving the patient, the dental hygienist, the dentist and a Periodontist (gum specialist) if indicated.
Periodontal Dentistry Procedures include:
- Lab Tests – tests for the presence of pathogenic bacteria, the specific pathogenic bacteria present, the patient’s susceptibility to periodontal disease, and the effects the periodontal disease has had on the patient’s whole body (systemic) health.
- Scaling – therapy to remove plaque, stain, and calculus (tartar) from tooth surfaces that are below the gumline.
- Root Planing – therapy to debride and smooth the root surfaces of teeth exposed by advancing periodontal diease.
- Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy – the use of a dental laser to destroy the bacteria in between the teeth and gums. This therapy shrinks inflammation and prepares the tooth and gum surface for a natural reattachment to aid in the reduction of the pocket depth. This can often avoid the need for periodontal surgery procedures. Learn more from the Centers for Dental Medicine.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction – individualized instruction in the use of periodontal aides and medicaments to help in the treatment of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Site-Specific Antibiotic Therapy – therapy to treat isolated periodontal infections at their source.
- Systemic Antibiotic Therapy – the use of oral antibiotics to treat persistent micro-organisms in advanced periodontal disease (as detected with the “MyPerioPath” test).
- Corrective Periodontal Surgery – surgical correction of existing defects to facilitate easier maintenence of the peiodontal (gum) tissues. This procedure usually involves collaberation with the Periodontist.
Are you at risk for periodontal disease?
At Southern Blvd Dental Center, we have developed a state-of-the-art treatment regime to combat the periodontal disease so prevalent in the American adult population. This regime includes:
- Laser Decontamination
- Scaling and Root Planing
- Laser Pocket Therapy (as required)
- Electric Toothbrush
- Closys Toothpaste and Rinse
- Progress Check Up Appointments