Preventative Dentistry in Rio Rancho, NM
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventive Dentistry deals with the prevention of dental disease. Each patient recevies a customized prevention plan based on a thorough evaluation of his or her oral cavity at the time of the initial oral examination. This is a dynamic plan that is revised during subsequent visits.
Preventive Procedures include:
- Prohylaxis – cleaning to remove plaque, stain and calculus (tartar) from the coronal portions of teeth. This procedure aids in the prevention of advancing periodontal (gum) disease.
- Individualized oral hygiene instruction – to teach the patient to care for his or her mouth.
- Regularly Scheduled Re-care Appointments – to maintain the optimal level of oral health; the frequency of these visits is determined by the patient’s condition.
- Fluoride treatments / Fluoride Varnish – to strengthen tooth/root surfaces and prevent decay.
- Sealants – to protect cavity prone pits and fissures of the teeth.
- Athletic Mouthguards – to prevent sports injuries to the teeth.